This morning I was complaining heavily against a process simulation in PRO/II. The simulated process was running perfectly well, but when I included it into another simulation it broke the other simulation. I started to wonder what the hell the guy who created this simulation had done. Then after a while I found in the code:
TITLE PROJECT=XXX, USER=AnterrochesL, DATE=09/05/01, SITE=XXX
Yes, me in May 2001. Oups! This reference simulation given by my customer last week was in fact a simulation I created 8 years ago.
I was brutally reminded that the worse code I ever read is my own old code. It is happening again and again, I read my code months or years after and I feel ashamed at how bad it is. This is good news, because it means I improve, but also bad news, many people in many organizations/projects are using my old code and as I always keep good contact with my customers, the probability that I will work on my old code in the future is scarily high!
This remind me that I need to refactor some parts of InDefero.