Ok, the migration process started. For the moment, nothing to worry about, just a background sync of the data on the way. As it is a big rsync job, it may slow down a bit the system but it should not be that dramatic.
The migration will follow these steps:
- Background sync of the data to the new server - Started 21:00 CET - Done 23:10 CET.
- Shutdown of the services on the current server - Started 23:10 CET - Done 23:20 CET.
- Sync again of the data to ensure everything is in order - Started 23:20 CET- Done 23:37 CET.
- Transfer of the IP address of the current server to the new server - Done 23:40 CET.
- Start of the new server - Done 23:42 CET.
The migration went nicely with about 20 minutes downtime, not so bad.
Update Sunday morning: Still everything in order. Just some postfix configuration to adjust. I will do that during the day, but right now, the weather is so nice (nice blue sky and packed with snow) that I need to go make some snow men with my son.